C'ville

C'ville

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

The Garage

Last night my friends and I headed downtown to check out a recently new concert, film, and art venue, the Garage. Let me tell you… it was totally AWESOME! The Garage is located right across from Lee Park, on North First Street. Concerts are conducted right out of a tiny brick garage space, while the audience sits up on the green grass hill right across the street. Since it’s nearly the middle of November, my friends and I decided to bring along some blankets and coffee mugs!



Sam Bush, the creative mind behind the Garage, organizes which musical groups and art exhibits will show for each month. The current November art display features Avery Lawrence with his exhibit, “ Oh That Thing”.  Avery’s show consists of a series of images from an abandoned Six Flags of New Orleans. There are paintings and sculptures as well, which concern a ‘large headed entity’ that roams the grounds of the rundown amusement park.

While different bands will take the stage this November, last night we were very luck to attend a great musical lineup starting with Robby Hecht, followed by The Loom. Together they were amazing!

Robby Hecht, released his first album in May of 2008. According to his personal website, Robby’s music is a “return to the early 70s golden era of acoustic pop where thoughtful, well-crafted lyrics were blended with timeless melodies to impact mainstream music and culture.” His one-man show blew us all away. One of my favorite things about the Garage is the intimate setting. At points during his show, Robbie would stop and talk to us, ask questions, and make the group feel as if we were getting a private serenade. At one point he could not remember a line of his song, and it was no big deal because one of his friends hopped up to sing with him! His lyrics were passionate and beautiful… here is a taste of what you get with Robbie Hecht in his song Pot of Gold:

While I am in the kitchen cooking up a pot pie
Your just watching with you pretty blue eyes
And the kids are singing our favorite tune
My pot of gold is my life with you
I am the luckiest man that I ever knew
My pot of gold is my life with you



The Loom, a sextet of males and females, traveled from Brooklyn to C’ville to play specifically at the Garage! They came in with a large set of instruments to play their music, including a French horn, trumpet, banjo, electric guitar, guitar, and drums. Combined with their folk like voices and loud musical beats, the Loom sure shook Charlottesville last night… or at least First street!




Photos taken by Hamilton Behlen


Both groups expressed how happy they felt in Charlottesville. They had the chance to tour the city, take a hike, and enjoy the crisp night as they played their tunes. As a C’ville townie, I feel so fortunate to have a venue where I can be myself while swaying to the sounds of new artists among close friends. So go… I encourage all of my readers to attend a concert at the Garage sometime soon! < http://thegarage-cville.com/>

Have a Wonderful Wednesday night… and check back soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...